I was having difficulty connecting to the broadband cable modem through ethernet using the Motorola SB5100 and switching between desktops. Here is what I found for troubleshooting the connection:
- Put the cable modem in stand-by mode
- This will enable the internal DHCP Server of the modem when the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet. You will then be assigned a dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server which keeps trying to refresh after 10 seconds. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42.
- Bring up the SURFboard Configuration Manager located at http://192.168.100.1
- Go to the "Configuration" page and "Restart Cable Modem".
- Turn on the Modem from it's Stand-by mode.
- The cable modem should now pick up your latest MAC Address and you will be assigned the IP address provided by your ISP in the next refresh.
Happy Surfing !!